Sunday 15 September 2013

Great British Bake Off Challenge - Week 3 - Floating Islands

Ok, for any visitors new to this blog, don't turn away just yet. Usually I only post simple recipes that I think even someone new to baking could try. I don't use any fancy equipment, and try to minimise ingredients and steps in the process. 

However, Gemma from Iced Gem Bakes challenged me to make Milk, Egg, Wheat and Soya free versions of all this years technical challenges on Great British Bake Off, so these posts are slightly out of character...


Why couldn't the trifle or petit fours have been the technical challenge this week? Why, oh why did it have to be yet another dish based on egg? I don't get Floating Islands. I'm not a massive fan of meringue or marshmallow, despite my really sweet tooth. Even if you can eat eggs, I've always thought this seemed like an odd idea for a pudding. After last weeks programme, I was ready to give up and not bother with this challenge, but while I don't expect anyone will actually want to make it, I just wanted to prove I could.

Creme Anglaise (custard) - no problem
Spun sugar - bit of a faff, but easy enough
Poached whisked egg white - OK, this might be more tricky... Whisked egg replacer won't poach... It will float away and dissolve in a mushy pool. Hmmm, what to do...

Apparently, the original eggy floating islands have a marshmallowy texture, so I thought I'd just try making marshmallow to float in it. I've never made marshmallows and didn't realise quite how easy they were. I particularly like the idea of making it with fruit puree as in this recipe from Delicious Magazine (I think I'll be doing a batch this year for christmas presents too...). I made half quantity of the plain version using Golden Syrup (the other reason I liked this version, it didn't need glucose syrup) and had loads more than I needed. I learnt 2 things... 1. you can't shape warm marshmallow mixture, and 2. marshmallow would be too firm and unbelievably sweet for this recipe...

Back to square 1...

I had another rethink and in a flash of inspiration thought of Italian Meringue! Wasn't sure if it would work with egg replacer and as it wouldn't be poached needed another way for it to be lightly set, so added a little gelatine too. It worked! it tasted much better than I was expecting, but my kitchen now has a liberal splattering of syrup! Think I'll stick to crumble with my custard... 

Recipes are below.

Please be something easier for week 4...



Serves 4, with some 'islands' to spare - or you could make them bigger...

Meringue

110g Caster Sugar
40g Golden Syrup/Glucose Syrup (I used a tsp of honey as well as I didn't quite have enough syrup, added a hint of honey taste)
2/3 tsp SHS Low Protein Egg White Replacer 
5tbsp water (2 cold, plus 3 boiling)
1 sheet leaf gelatine (plus water for soaking)

Soak gelatine in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes.

Put water in bowl and sprinkle on the egg replacer. Whisk gently to mix (don't worry about it not dissolving at this stage).

Add softened gelatine and mix until dissolved in the warm water mix.

Put sugar and syrup in a heavy based pan and just cover with cold water.

Heat gently until sugar dissolved (do not allow to boil). Remove from heat and put lid on for a couple of minutes to allow and sugar crystals on side of pan to dissolve.

Return to heat and boil until just beginning to colour (about 130ÂșC on a sugar thermometer). Remove from heat and leave to cool for a couple of minutes.

Begin whisking the egg replacer/gelatine mix until beginning to foam.

Slowly drizzle in the syrup (down the side of the bowl) in stages and continue to whisk until thick and glossy.

Use a couple of spoons to shape into quenelles and place them on a greased plate or tray. Chill in fridge until set.

Custard

1tbsp Custard Powder
1tbsp Corn Flour (you could just use all custard powder, but would be much yellower)
1tbsp Sugar
300mls Milk Substitute (I used oat milk)
200mls Dairy and Soya Free Cream (Oat, Almond or Rice cream)

Put custard powder, cornflour and sugar in a bowl.

Add a little milk substitute and mix to a paste.

Slowly mix in the rest of the milk substitute.

Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir well. Microwave for another 1-2 minutes until thick and boiled. (or heat in a pan on a medium heat, stirring constantly until boiled and thick).

Stir in the 'cream' until you get your desired consistency - remember it will thicken more as it cools.

If you are not going to use it immediately, stir again every few minutes, or smooth a layer of cling film directly over the top of the custard to stop a skin forming.

Spun Sugar

For this bit, I'll hand you over to Mary Berry herself on the instructions for the original recipe for the show...


No comments:

Post a Comment