Thursday 17 April 2014

Easter Biscuits

I love this time of year (as long as the sun is shining!), the garden is full of wild flowers, the pear and apple trees are covered in blossom, and boys are spending more time outside. This means they are using up more energy and I have the continued battle to try to keep weight on them (wish I had their problem!). 

Version 1
Easter biscuits are another favourite of mine. I love a good crunchy biscuit and the addition of a citrus tang and a bit of spice makes it all the better. But, just because a recipe says candy peel, or currants or something else your little monsters don't like, don't be put off trying, make the recipe your own. Swap the spices, or leave them out altogether. Use dried fruit your child will eat (dried cranberries, blueberries, cherries etc), or don't add fruit at all. 

I've made 2 batches this year, one adapted from this months Waitrose magazine (version 1) and the other from my trusty Good Housekeeping cookbook from the 70's (version 2). I can't decide which I prefer, so have posted both… For both recipes, I did a straight swap with the flour to wheat free and instead of the egg, used milk substitute. I had meant to make some cranberry ones, but, while I shouldn't complain about having a husband who puts away the shopping, I've looked twice and can't find the dried cranberries I bought last week anywhere! 

I only made half quantity, so if you want more biscuits, just double up the quantities below.

Version 1 (made about 18 x 5cm rounds)

110g Dairy and Soya Free Spread
60g Caster Sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1/4 Lemon Zest
2 1/2tbsp Milk Substitute
175g Plain Flour or Wheat Free Plain Flour*
25g Ground Almonds (try ground rice or polenta for nut free)
1/4tsp Baking powder
3/4tsp Mixed Spice
1/4tsp Ground Cinnamon
25g Mixed Peel
50g Currants 


Version 2
Version 2 (made 12 x 5cm rounds)

100g Dairy and Soya Free Spread
30g Caster Sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
2tbsp Milk Substitute
100g Plain Flour or Wheat Free Plain Flour*
1/4tsp Mixed Spice
1/4tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2tbsp Mixed Peel
2tbsp Currants 

*If you're using wheat free plain flour, the blend can make a difference e.g. Orgran and Bob's Red Mill are more absorbent then Dove's Farm flour. If your mix seems a little sticky, leave to rest for 5 mins and if still sticky, add a little more flour.

Whisk the spread and sugar until pale and fluffy.

Add the milk substitute and whisk again until combined.

Add all the other ingredients and mix well.

Knead lightly and form a smooth ball.

Flatten slightly on a lightly floured surface.



Roll out to 3-5mm thick.


Sprinkle with extra caster sugar.


Cut into rounds.


Bake at 180ÂșC for 15-20 mins.

Cool on a wire rack (my oven is a bit dodgy at the moment and not cooking underneath, if your's are not crispy enough either, just put them back in the oven for another 5 minutes upside down)







No comments:

Post a Comment