Saturday 3 June 2017

Waffle Biscuits


I like to keep recipes as simple as possible for people who are new to baking, so I've stripped down my usual waffle recipe even further to make these crunchy, crispy biscuits. Perfect with ice cream or as a snack on their own.
I've been after a proper cast iron Krumkake pan for years, but second hand ones are rare and new they are only available in Scandanavia/Holland and are expensive to ship. When I spotted this in Lakeland a few weeks ago at quarter of the price I had seen them at before, I couldn't resist.

I added spices to these, but it can easily be left out for a plainer biscuit. I might try a savour cracker too.
Made 24

1 Cup Gluten Free Self Raising Flour (or plain flour, plus 1tsp Baking Powder)
1tbsp Caster Sugar
1 1/2tbsp Vegetable Oil
1/2tsp Vanilla Paste (or extract)
1/2 - 1tsp Mixed Spice (optional)
1 Cup Milk Substitute

Heat waffle press on a medium heat.
Put flour, sugar, oil, vanilla and spice in a bowl.
Pour in the milk substitute.
Gradually mix to a smooth batter with a balloon whisk.
Place 1 tablespoon of batter into the centre of a hot waffle cone press.

Close lid to flatten. Flip pan over after 1-2 minutes.

After a minute on the other side open to check colour.

Keep turning frequently until desired colour reached and crisp when removed.
If they colour too quickly, turn down the heat.

Leave to cool (unless, like me you have boys eating them as soon as they go on the plate!)

Will stay crisp in a tin for upto a week (I only know this as one of the cones I made last week got forgotten about, then we went away and Mini Monster found it still crispy last night!).





2 comments:

  1. These are like bricelets in Switzerland! They look delicious. You can find savory versions here too with cumin seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I didn't know that about the Swiss ones, I'd been planning to do some savoury ones for emergency packed lunches, now I can give them a name!

    ReplyDelete