Tuesday 18 September 2012

Empanadas (fried meat pasties)

Ok, so I know it was a long time ago I promised recipes of what to do with the rich wheat free bread dough , here's the first one!

Going away for the weekend isn't easy with allergic kids, even when I'm not taking them with me! Heading up north for my school reunion, I found myself spending my day off work having to stock up the freezer with potential picnic food so my husband could take the kids out. I'm sure he would have coped anyway, just didn't want them to think they could do without me...

I had intended to just make ham rolls (will post that recipe too eventually) as they are already a firm packed lunch favourite, but only had enough ham to use half mix. I know the dough fries well, so experimented stuffing it with cooked mince and vegetables (I used a fairly dry mix just in case they split). I think they'd probably work filled with anything not too wet, but probably better with pre-cooked filling so you only need to cook the outside and don't need to worry about cooking out the middle.


To make 8 empanadas:

1/2 quantity of rich wheat free bread dough
8 spoonfuls of filling (I fried off some lamb mince with grated carrot, courgette, and sweet potato until browned and veg not visible to Fussy 5, added garlic, a spices (cinnamon and cumin) and possibly a bit of tomato paste (can't quite remember). 
1 tsp of corn flour mixed to a thin paste with 2 tbsp water
Oil to fry (I know olive oil is supposed to be no good for frying, but it's the only thing I had) - I used about 1cm in the base of a small heavy based pan.

Divide dough into 8 pieces.

Roll into balls and flatten to about 3mm.


Place spoonful of filling in middle.

Wet edge of dough with corn flour mixture (easier with finger than pastry brush).

Fold dough over and pinch edges together until sealed all the way round.


Flatten slightly to form a semi-circle (makes it easier to fry).

Fry in hot oil for a couple of minutes until browned, then flip over and repeat for the other side. 


Remove from oil and drain on kitchen paper.


These freeze well and unlike wheat free pastry, won't break up when traveling! 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. I try to make my recipes simple so anyone can have a go.

    ReplyDelete