Monday 9 December 2013

Christmas Pudding Taste Test

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse…
Ok it's not Christmas Eve yet, but if I don't get this done now, I probably won't and I'll miss yet another seasonal update.


If Christmas Puds are anything to go by, free from manufacturers might finally be beginning to realise we need more than just Gluten Free. Last year, Asda was the only supermarket where I found a milk, egg, wheat AND soya free pud. This year, Asda, Tesco, Waitrose, Morrisons (have been told about this one, not checked it out) and Coles (sold through Ocado and Dorrington's Bakery if you're local...) have all come up trumps. There may be more out there, but I haven't had time to look.

Sainsbury's, yet again, have felt the need to add egg to theirs. They did redeem themselves with their mince pies though… They have (like their free from jam tarts) managed to produce an egg free pastry case! Beware any nut allergy sufferers though, they do contain ground almonds.
So, one sunny Sunday afternoon, while his big brother was at a birthday party, Mini Monster happily partook in a little blind tasting with Daddy…

And the results?

Mini Monster likes Christmas Pudding… Difficult to establish a favourite as he was too busy going back for more, but, like me, his least favourite was Waitrose (I was so delighted that they had finally added something MEWS free to their free from range though, and hope they continue to work on more).

Daddy, however, liked the Waitrose one best! With a close second from Asda.

When it came down to it, there was no clear winner, but they were all pretty good. When it comes down to it, I think everyone wants something different in a Christmas pudding so I have tried to describe them as best I can to help you make your choice.

1. Waitrose:
Very dark colour, like a well boiled home made pud.
Strong, alcohol smell on peeling off lid (I had to check it wasn't rum extract). Almost overpowering taste of rum/black treacle, which husband liked, but Mini Monster and I were less keen on).
Not very deep, which I didn't mind, until I tested the others and they all puffed up in the microwave.

2. Tesco:
Lightly spiced, with a strong orange taste (which I liked, husband didn't). Much paler in colour and not too heavily fruited. Rose up in pot on heating, giving a lighter pudding.

3. Coles:
Mildly spiced, bit less fruit than some of the others, but no gram flour and I quite liked the texture, which was bread puddingy. Lovely rich colour and shine on cooking. Unlike the others, this is also available in a large family pudding size from Dorrington's bakers.

4. Asda:
Not quite as dark as the Waitrose one, but another good rich spiced flavour, with lighter overtones of rum. Nice texture when cut, held together well.



No comments:

Post a Comment