Thursday 19 December 2013

Panettone

Since I discovered The Vegg (vegan egg yolk, made from yeast), I've been having a go at some of the 'doughs' that need several eggs in the mix, like choux, brioche and, as it's Christmas, Panettone. Not discovered the magic way to get the lovely stretch to the cooked dough though. The look and taste will have to do for now. 

I'm not entirely sure how much The Vegg added to this as I adapted it from my go-to bread recipe from Iced Gem Bakes and didn't see a massive difference in the texture, although I did get a big rise. 

Some of the yellow colour was from The Vegg, but if you're trying without, just use all custard powder in place of the corn flour.

I made a large loaf using a 20-22cm loose bottom deep cake tin, oiled and lined with greaseproof paper (folded into 3 layers for strength) to make sides even deeper. You could try making smaller ones in empty tins with the bottoms cut off and rested on a baking tray. I was going to try half quantity to make 3 smaller ones, but husband threw the tins I'd prepared into the recycling!



400g Gluten Free plain flour (I used half plain and half bread flour)
100g Cornflour
100g Custard Powder
200g Ground Almonds (I have made the plain bread with sorghum flour instead of ground almonds if you need it to be nut free too)
4tsp Xanthan Gum (less if using bread flour with it added)
2tbsp Caster Sugar
8tsp dried yeast
4tsp Vegg powder
zest of 1 orange 
zest of 1 lemon

100mls Olive (or other ) oil
800mls Milk Substitute
2tsp Vanilla Paste (or extract)
2tbsp Rum/orange liquore (optional)

100g Chopped candied citrus peel
150g Raisins/dried cherries/cranberries

Put dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir together.

Mix wet ingredients and pour into dry mixture.

Whisk together until well incorporated.

Stir in dried fruit.

Pour into prepared tin.
Smooth top with a wet or oiled spoon.

Leave to rise for 40-60mins.

Bake at 200ÂșC for about 60 mins (check after 40 and cover with foil if getting too dark) or until skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.
Rest in tin for 5 minutes, then remove and cool on a cooling rack.

I found pearl sugar last week and want to have another go with a proper sugared topping.

Might try a chocolate chip ones too...


No comments:

Post a Comment