Thursday 12 January 2017

Chestnut & Quinoa Biscuits


Thought I'd try something different today. Mainly because I just noticed my chestnut flour is about to go out of date, but also because I know not everyone can tolerate oats so I'm experimenting with different 'flakes'. I often find rice flakes too crispy in a biscuit recipe, I've run out of millet flakes, and I'm trying to find new ways to use quinoa flakes, that disguises the strong flavour.
These worked brilliantly, I think adding quinoa to a biscuit brought out more of a nutty taste, complimented by the sweet, earthiness of the chestnut flour. 
Crispy and 'nutty' as they are.
Filled with chestnut spread & drizzled with chocolate.
This made 15 biscuits (plus the bit I tested in the microwave before baking and the raw mix I ate...)

85g Dairy & Soya Free Margarine (I used hard Stork as I wanted a crisper biscuit)
50g Light Brown Sugar (any would work, will just alter the colour)
35g Date Syrup (would probably work with golden syrup, but I'd use a bit less)
50g Chestnut Flour
50g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
50g Quinoa Flakes

Melt margarine, sugar and syrup together in the microwave (or in a small pan).
Add flours & flakes and mix well.
Roll into walnut sized balls.
Flatten slightly (I might try them a little thinner next time - and with less sugar).
Bake at 180ºc for 10 minutes, remove from oven to cool if you want a soft cookie, or turn the temperature down to 160ºc and bake for another 10 minutes for a crispier biscuit. This is what I did, although, some did brown a little more on the edges than I wanted, but my oven is not baking evenly at the moment. I might just try 20 minutes at 160ºc next time.
Remove from the oven to cool.
Eat them plain, or fill with chestnut spread and drizzle with melted chocolate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment