Saturday 7 January 2017

Vegetable Pasta Bake

I always struggle to post savoury recipes because I've always cooked by eye & don't measure anything out. We'd just got back from 5 days away and I hadn't been food shopping yet so lunch was a concoction of store cupboard basics, some vegetables that I'd put in the shed over Christmas as no room in fridge, and some bits from the freezer. You could do your own version with whatever you have to hand or what you know your kids will eat.
Cauliflower, carrot & ham pasta bake
Several people asked for the recipe after I posted the above picture on twitter, so I've typed up my best estimate of how I made it. Maybe it could give you an idea of how to do your own version. It's certainly different every time in this house!

250g Dried Gluten Free Pasta (I used Hale & Hearty Rigatoni)
250mls Tomato and Basil Sauce (plus equal quantity of water used to rinse out pot)
2 Carrots (grated)
1/2 Cauliflower (chopped into small pieces)
Ham hock/chopped leftover meat/bacon/sausages (optional)
Frozen sweetcorn/spinach (I'd run out or it would have been in this one)

White Sauce 
500mls Milk Substitute
60g Dairy & Soya Free Spread (I used half and half, spread and garlic oil)
60g Gluten Free Plain Flour
50g Dairy & Soya Free Cheese* (I used Violife Original, grated)
100ml Dairy & Soya Free Cream (optional)

*If you don't want to use a cheese substitute, you can try 1tbsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes to add a savoury flavour.

Melt spread and oil in a pan. Add the flour and mix well, continuing to stir on a low heat for another minute (do not allow it to brown).

Slowly add the milk substitute a little at a time, stirring constantly, until you have a smooth paste.

After this you can add the milk a little quicker to make the sauce. Allow to come to the boil, stirring frequently.

Remove from the heat & stir in the grated cheese, or other flavouring.

Add the dairy free cream, if using, or a little more milk substitute until you have a sauce the consistency of custard. Set aside.

Cook pasta for a couple of minutes less than it says on the pack. Drain off the water. Add the veg, ham, tomato sauce & water.

Stir and bring back to the boil. Pour into a casserole dish, top with the white sauce.

Bake at 220Âșc for 40mins (or 20mins, the grill to brown the top if you're short of time like I was!).
Add caption


No comments:

Post a Comment